To be perfectly honest – I don’t even know where to begin with this.
This year has been great, and has sucked and every single emotion in between.
Here’s a few of the highlights :
- Our daughter started playing softball, which was fun to watch.
- We went on a vacation back to our home state of Illinois.
- We won the Reese’s Outrageous Fan Contest!
- We started making small but meaningful changes that have really changed our outlook on life in general. Small things that mean less anxiety.
- I started doing yoga more consistently.
- I started this blog in the hopes that I would find something meaningful to say. (Still working on that one!)
A couple downsides of this year :
- We had to flee our home and head south to Florida because of Hurricane Florence. (This one should really be in both categories, because we ended up having an amazing vacation during that time.) This was a really scary time for us because we had no idea what, if anything, we were coming home to. On the plus side – we were fortunate to head to Miami to see a Dolphins game live, and cross an item off of my husband’s bucket list.
- And now, we are in a season of unemployment. My husband hasn’t been working since Halloween, and it’s been tough. Eventually the money will run out. Thankfully we are okay for now – but both of us need to find jobs…quickly. He’s been looking like crazy for something in his wheelhouse, and I’ve been applying for something that I can do from home while the girls are at school. Neither of us have had much luck.
Here’s the thing though – even though we are in a rough time, we are the most peaceful we’ve ever been. We’ve both learned to really lean on God and trust His timing above all else. That has made this transition so much more bearable. Without that, I think we would have broken.
So while there were some things that didn’t exactly go as planned this year – I’d have to say that overall it has been a success. I’m going into 2019 not with the mindset of a fresh start – but as a continuation of my journey. I am so clueless as to what my role is supposed to be in life – but I’m going to make the most of what I’ve got.
2019 isn’t going to be some big breath of fresh air unless you change going into it. Unfortunately changing the calendar doesn’t change our circumstances. It’s up to you and me to decide how we are going to handle our lives.
I wish you all a happy and healthy new year – go out there and grab it!