The following post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase from these links I may receive a small commission, but it does not cost you anything extra. I appreciate your support.
This message really hit home for me because I’ve been feeling kind of cynical in my everyday life – so very timely for me personally!
If you’re reading this before November 12, 2020 – then ladies don’t forget about Reflect! Head to elevationchurch.org/reflect for more info. Pastor Holly Furtick will be delivering a message to all the women. I encourage you to either host, or find a group to watch with.
Also a reminder to get involved with the church if you are able. Go to elevationchurch.cc to view volunteer opportunities and sign up to join an eGroup.
Please remember that I take my notes in real time, so as Pastor Steven was speaking I was typing. Also, my internet was in and out so you’ll definitely need to watch. I’ll post the YouTube link when I see it’s been added.
Now, onto my notes. ?
Sermon Notes : Use Your Inside Voice
- No one can worship for you. You need an internal worship team.
- God is eternal.
- You can worship him wherever you are – geographically or emotionally.
- There is nowhere you can run from his presence.
- Mark 3:20 – 31
- What is your inside voice?
- How critical are you of yourself?
- Jesus was rarely, if ever, driven by the opinions of outside voices.
- Have we accepted that Jesus died to forgive us for our sin, but not experience that he also died to deliver us from cynicism?
- Jesus moved away from where he came from to do what he was called to do.
- Do you ever get mad at someone or criticize them for things that they can do that you can’t?
- Cynicism is a strategy – how we deal with disappointment, and serves as a shield.
- Our busy-ness is the very thing that keeps God from doing his work…his business.
- Too much knowledge and noise can block wisdom.
- Too much mastery of God closes us to the mystery of God.
- Matthew 12:25
- My inside voice is so destructive…making me see myself and others in such a negative light.
- Jesus came to deal with your inside voice.
- The temptations that you don’t talk about in eGroup.
- It’s silly what we try to hide from God when he hears our inside voice – down to your groans. He can interpret those.
- As Christians we love to blame the devil – but sometimes we give the devil credit for something that God is trying to do.
- The devil didn’t do it.
- Sometimes your decisions did it.
- There’s a voice that always tries to make you the victim.
- The kingdom of God was coming, but their cynicism stopped them from experiencing it.
- Do you have a cynical spirit?
- Cynicism is counterfeit wisdom.
- It looks like wisdom, truth, righteousness, faith.
- It’s really manipulation.
- That is not the spirit of God.
- What are you preaching from you personal pulpit?
- Who’s report will you believe?
- Everything significant in this scripture happens on the inside.
- We can get focused on the temporal.
- External/Internal opposition from both the scribes and his own family.
- The secret is in the voices that you respond to.
- Those voices come mainly from those that you surround yourself with.
- Real power doesn’t have to shout.
- Do you know who you are and where you came from?
- 1 John 4:4
- Jesus didn’t come from Mary – he came through Mary.
- Are you steered by the will of your Father?
- You are from God.
- Do you talk like where you come from? Does your attitude reflect it?
- Not your physical location – but from God.
- It doesn’t take faith to be cynical.
- You are made in God’s image.
- He knows what is going on inside your heart today.
- Real wisdom creates more faith, not less.
- Voices become view points.
- We listen to the people who don’t have our best interests at heart.
- What you hear gets in your heart – what you scroll gets in your spirit.
- This is why you’re stressed.
- Cynicism is a sickness.
- Why would we have the spirit of God and speak the language of satan?
- This week start talking like where you come from – you are from God – speak like that!
- Mark 3:28
- Jesus vouches for himself.
- We’ve got to stop waiting for humans to validate our identity.
- Have you lost your internal Amen?
- Jesus was surrounded by cynicism but was led by the spirit of God.
- Are you following the voice that calls you back to familiar even though you know that it’s not good for you?
- Have you got so much noise that you don’t even notice God’s voice when he speaks anymore?
- I need help with my inside voice.
- The voice you give attention to is the one you experience.
- John 11:33-43
I hope that my notes were useful. Let me know in the comments ⤵️ what your biggest takeaway was. Mine was when he said that mastery of God closes us to the mystery of God. I believe that’s true.