The following post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase from these links I may receive a small commission, but it does not cost you anything extra.
My notes for Pastor Steven Furtick’s sermon There’s a Hole in Your Story. From Elevation Church in March 2020.
Click here to watch There’s a Hole in Your Story on YouTube.
Click this link to join an online volunteer team or eGroup.
I’ve linked the Bible verses so you can read them if you want.
Please remember these are not my own words, but simply the notes that I took during the message.
Sermon Notes : There’s a Hole in Your Story
- Acts 11:1-19
- “Look into it!”
- Thank God for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, infinity chances
- Get out of God’s way
- From protest to praise.
- There’s always the story within the story.
- Sometimes we don’t even realize how many missing pieces there are in the stories we tell ourselves.
- The space between what you know and what you think you know is the story that you tell yourself, and that’s where you can get stuck.
- “A lie can make it around the world before the truth gets it’s shoes laced up.”
- Beware of second hand stories
- of what you believe that you have not seen for yourself.
- stop letting our opinions of others be determined through the filter of the opinions of others.
- when something else makes you feel insecure, you shield yourself by saying it’s weird
- over time, tradition gets in the way of truth, so then you start thinking that your tradition is the truth
- we stay stuck in stories that we can break out of if we believe the voice of God.
- what stories are you holding on to that are old that are keeping you from what’s new, and what’s now, true and real.
- beware of self centered stories
- if you put yourself at the center of every story, you will always have an upset stomach
- it’s not you
- it makes us take on unnecessary stress
- stop using your thumbs instead of having a real conversation
- God, help me to stop making it about me!!!
- it’s bigger than you
- beware of selective stories
- when you don’t know what is going to happen next in your life.
- you don’t get to choose every situation, but you get to choose the story you tell yourself.
- what you’re going through is hard enough without writing God out of the story
- you tell me what you heard, and I’ll tell you what I saw
- it’s not your story!
- let the devil know, come hell or high water, I get to choose the story that I tell.
- short stories
- sometimes you let doubt cut you off in the middle of a sentence that god is speaking in your life.
- your life can not be summarized into one neat little story
- what are you going to fill the hole in your story with
- some of us are stuck in part of our story that was never meant to be the end –
- acts 10:39-40
- don’t stop at the comma
- resurrection is possible when you realize that He didn’t stay on the cross.
Be sure to leave a comment letting me know your favorite takeaway from this message.