Sermon Notes : Pastor Holly Furtick – Running On Empty
The following post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase from these links I may receive a small commission, but it does not cost you anything extra. I appreciate your support.
First off, Happy Mother’s Day to all moms and mom figures…no matter who/what you are a mother to.
Elevation is located in Charlotte, NC – but you can get involved with the ministry from anywhere in the world! Head to elevationchurch.cc to learn how to join an online volunteer team, or to join an eGroup.
I appreciate you taking the time to stop by today. Remember : these are not my thoughts, but merely the notes I jotted down while Holly was speaking. Context is necessary. Click here to watch the message on YouTube. Bible verses are also linked so you can click to read.
Sermon Notes : Running On Empty
- 2 Kings 4:1-7
- You can pretend that everything’s okay for a little while, but the emptiness makes you aware of your loneliness.
- Have you ever felt the weight of other people needing you?
- When you give your life to God, we think bad things will never happen to us.
- We can be faithful, but also suffering.
- What do I do when I feel empty?
- Never-ending loop that includes no joy or hope.
- God does some of his best work when I feel the most empty.
- Cry out.
- We make our lives more full so that we don’t have to deal with things.
- Busyness will not fill emptiness…but it can mask it.
- Why is that our last resort, instead of our first?
- Trying to find in people what we need to find in God makes us more disappointed in those people, and it’s not their fault.
- There’s a space in your life that only God can fill.
- Psalm 34:17-18
- God hears you.
- It’s important to be very specific with God.
- What do you already have? You are always a part of your solution.
- Reach Out
- Comments do not replace conversation.
- Reaching out means sharing something, not everything.
- We need face to face interaction with others.
- You may not think you need it, but someone may need it from you.
- Do not let the enemy tell you you’re alone.
- There comes a time in your healing process when you have to shut the door and let God work a miracle.
- What feels like weakness to us, looks like strength to them.
- We can build others faith when we feel weak.
- Pour Out
- When in survival mode, we can hoard every single resource that we have.
- We can start to have pity parties when no one picks up on the hints we’re dropping.
- Emptiness is more than a feeling that we don’t have purpose…we literally feel like we don’t have enough to make it.
- Just keep pouring.
- The miracle only happens when you move.
- If you wait until you feel full to pour, you will never experience the power of God in your life.
- Luke 6:38
- Be generous with your love, time, and encouragement.
- Live On What’s Left
- One day you’ll turn around and find you’ve got a pantry full of oil to live on.
- Somehow you’ve made it through the dark days…
- Empty is where God does his best work.